Thursday, January 31, 2013

Standing On Top Of The World - Toowoomba Chronicle



My favourite mountain in WalesMy favourite mountain in Wales

I am lying here listening to Delta sing the song, listening to her tell me that she is "Standing On Top Of the World". I get a lot of my inspiration from listening to music, listening to the lyrics. Music is 'Philosophy for the common man'. I am not sure if I have heard that before or if it is original. I will have to Google it later. I do know that at certain times in my life I have listened to songs that tell me certain messages. I listen to them over and over again until I have had enough of that message and want to hear or learn a new one.

Years later if a certain song comes on the radio I am instantly transported back to that period of time, the period of time when I listened to that particular song. It may have been when I lost someone special or important in my life or when I had a certain success. My daughter will often tell me if she hears music from the time when her Father and I separated that it makes her sad, it brings back memories of that time she would rather forget.


Recently I wrote a piece called " Songs of My Life" in which I listed the names of songs for each year of my life . The list was a bit patchy in my childhood but I could remember a song that was relevant from most of the years of my life when I thought about it. It was a fun exercise and brought back many memories, some sad but mostly good. Some of the songs are a bit embarrassing to hear now, particularly when I listened to them on U Tube recently. Some of the film clips are even more embarrassing. We live in a world of where perfection and " beauty " are held in high esteem. The old film clips show the artists looking very ordinary, acting sometimes awkwardly and wearing some very dated "naff" looking costumes. An age of innocence so to speak. Not particularly inspiring.


Songs are often used for inspiration to motivate sportsmen and women to fight harder, go further and run faster. The Rocky theme " Eye of the Tiger" being one that comes to memory as a rugby league motivator in its time. Maybe it explains why so many joggers and walkers listen to music while they do their thing. I get that. I do it too, when I don't have company on a walk. It sets a rhythm, it makes the time go faster and the exercise more bearable if you lack motivation.


But back to Delta. She has had some ups and downs in her young life. Suffered from a debilitating disease and come out on top. She has had some romances that have had her in the news......she seems to choose the bad boys........ She is unbelievably talented and gorgeous to look at so why shouldn't she be " Standing on Top Of the World". Recently I wrote a story and used a quote by Delta with the headline photo. It said " People who are truly on a path, who want to be great, don't look sideways, They are comfortable in their own lane way". I certainly experience that physically and metaphorically each morning when I swim my laps.


Some swimmers plough down the pool and don't stop for anyone, look out if you get in their way, Heaven help you! Not exactly what Delta means I am sure. There are others who will veer around you when you cross paths so they don't have to have an uncomfortable 'touching' experience. There are those who will apologise if they do happen to randomly touch you as they pass or run into you from behind. It's like life, we all have our own way of dealing with people.


Time to get moving and get motivated and get to the pool and swim my laps. I, like Delta, am ' Standing on Top of The World' in my world right now. It is a damn good feeling and one I want to continue. I know life has its ups and downs, I have certainly experienced them both in all their excruciating glory. I also know that after the rain comes the sun, after the heartache comes the joy and after the darkness always, always comes the light. So as the sun comes up in my world today and I continue to swim in my own lane way I will look at the plain from the top of my mountain and be joyful and happy about my life and where my path is leading.






No comments:

Post a Comment