Monday, February 25, 2013

A Blonde Moment - Toowoomba Chronicle



Heart Of GlassHeart Of Glass

It happened. A blonde moment. I have been waiting a lifetime for it to happen. Good things come to those who wait .....and wait ..... and wait. So great things must happen for those who have waited thirty or so years.That is how long I have been a fan of Blondie. 1979 was my final year in high school. Turned 50 last year. 'Heart of Glass' was my song. Along with 'My Sharona' from the Knack , of course. I was that sort of girl.

About six years ago I revisited my love of Blondie and asked my children for all things Blondie for Christmas that year. Blondie badge, Blondie makeup bag and Blondie CD were gratefully received. My son is also a lover of all things music. Plays drums, creates and appreciates music .He understands his Mother's need to have music in her life.


Two years ago Blondie was performing at Siromet Winery in the Brisbane / Gold Coast area. It seemed perfect. Blondie here in Queensland. Had to go. Weekend booked by my partner at the time, also a Blondie fan or maybe knowing how much I was, can't remember which. It was November 2010 . Began to rain in September and kept raining and raining and raining and raining. The concert was cancelled. The venue was outdoors and safety was an issue. Was disappointed.


At the time I was experiencing a personal crisis of sorts. Temporary loss of a child. Permanent loss of a parent. A darkness that had taken over my heart. My heart just wasn't in it. God knew that was the case. It just wasn't the right time for Blondie . Not the right time to be joyful. I didn't even feel that sad that it didn't happen much more was on my mind. Something far more important, more meaningful and close to my heart. My family.


Back in my town life went on one day at a time, one week at a time, one year at a time. The darkness lifted, the child returned home and my Father put to rest. 2012 was a creative awakening. Studying to become an interior decorator finished. Going to performances, Kate Miller Heidke . Going to art exhibitions , exhibiting artwork. Being me.


It's in the paper, Blondie is coming to town. Is a sign. A sign that can't be ignored. Girlfriends organised, tickets bought the moment arrives. A blonde moment. A moment of a lifetime, my lifetime. Five girlfriends together out for a fun night. The bands....The Saints, The Stranglers......so many great, fun, happy memories from my youth, my college days, my school days. Many memories I had forgotten , pushed to the back of my mind.


She's here. I'm here. Good things come to those who wait. Great things have come to me. I have waited for this moment for over thirty years. Unforgettable....pure pleasure.....joy. That's not all. Next morning, wearing Blondie souvenir t shirt,one of my girlfriends who sat beside me the previous night, herself a beautiful Blonde, texts me that she is at the airport waiting for a plane and who should walk by heading for the Qantas lounge? No prizes......Yes....the band......the Blonde one herself.


Here is how it went. Please forgive me , Jane, I just have to share:)


Jane: Omg. Blondie walked past me at the airport. I think she will be on the plane with us!


Robyn : Omg. Go girl autographs please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Robyn : photos too


Jane: She's in the qantas lounge. Have to wait until she comes out now.


Robyn: Do it for the team girl !!!!!:)


Jane: Will try. I think she is on the qantas flight . Damn. Have bought a note book for Autograph but not sure if I can get it.


Robyn: Jane you can do it have faith !!!!!!


Jane: Left book at reception at the qantas club. Hopefully we will get a result.J


Robyn: You are absolutely fabulous xxxxxxxxx


Post script......several hours later and walking on the Hill, phone call from Jane .


Jane: Had to leave the book with the receptionist at the qantas club. Called back when I got to Brisbane to ask if they had for the autograph. They told me that they couldn't find it at present. They would have to ask the girls who were on that shift. Tomorrow they should contact us, me , you.


Robyn: Thats great Jane!I knew you could do it. What a great night ! Got some great footage of you partying.:)


(Laughter......)


Jane: So you may get a text tomorrow to go to the airport to pick up the book. I asked for the autograph to say.........To Robyn.


I think I am having a blonde moment I will never, ever, ever forget:)


Post Post Script: How many blondes does it it take to change a lightbulb? I don't care! How many blondes does it take to get a Blondie autograph ? Just one. Her name is Jane:).....Gotta love your friends........(more laughter).







No comments:

Post a Comment