Friday, February 15, 2013

Life's looking up for Sea Eagles recruit - The Sunshine Coast Daily



ONE TO WATCH: Sunshine Coast Sea Eagle Kyle Van Klaveren is planning to grasp his opportunities this season.ONE TO WATCH: Sunshine Coast Sea Eagle Kyle Van Klaveren is planning to grasp his opportunities this season. Warren Lynam

RUGBY LEAGUE: Kyle Van Klaveren speaks with the thankfulness of a man who has found contentment after years spent "stepping on crocodiles".


The Dalby-raised Sea Eagles fullback - who due to family issues was forced to live by himself when still in Year 11 - came to the Sunshine Coast in the second half of last year desirous of regular football.


He found it. But he also found a fiancee, a nurturing club and a nurturing instinct.


The 24-year-old and his fiancee, Karla Uee, are expecting their first child next month.


Van Klaveren still finds it hard to believe the well of plenty he now drinks from since leaving Redcliffe in search of greater opportunity.


Having impress at fullback in the final three games last season, he will bid to cement his spot when the Sea Eagles play Norths in a season-opening trial at Stockland Sunshine Coast Stadium tonight.


"As my mum says every day when I talk to her, she's proud of me because a lot of people have stepping stones and she said I had crocodiles as my stepping stones. I had to make my own path," he said.


"It's been unreal to be enjoying my football, and things are just falling into place.


"I came down here with nothing, and everything seems to be going the right way now."


Van Klaveren, 24, who played for Toowoomba Brothers after departing Dalby, said he left Redcliffe after almost two full seasons because a glut of top players had curtailed his first-grade minutes.


But he is not easily deterred.


Even in his junior days when he watched his mates make representative teams ahead of him, he never gave up on his goals - including playing NRL.


He has, however, learned to temper his ambition so it is not all-consuming.


"When I first came down (to Redcliffe) I think I was chasing the dream too much," he said.


"I was trying too hard instead of enjoying my football.


"Now I've got a great bunch of blokes supporting me, I've got family support, friends and a fiancee.


"I've got a little family on the way."


Sea Eagles captain Callum Klein nominated Van Klaveren as a player to watch this season.


He said the No.1 had put on 5kg since joining the club and displayed great commitment to every task presented.


"He's done everything asked of him and I hope he reaps the rewards of what he's done in the off-season," Klein said.







No comments:

Post a Comment