Tuesday, March 12, 2013

GM keen to get started - ABC Online


Posted March 13, 2013 07:43:33


Just days into the job, Newcastle Council's new interim general manager says he is excited to be working with a council keen to progress the city.


The former CEO of Queensland's Toowoomba Council Ken Gouldthorp attended his first council meeting last night.


Mr Gouldthorp says it may be a little while before he fully grasps some of the main challenges ahead, including council's mounting financial problems.


He says his first step will be to get a full understanding of the organisation.


"I know that council is facing some challenges as well as some exciting times, particularly with their financial situation," he said.


"I'm busy getting my head around that.


"I've been very well briefed to date and I have quite a bit of extra work to do before I've got a very clear understanding and can assist council on moving forward on that part."


Mr Gouldthorp says decisions need to be made now so the council does not end up with significant financial problems in two to three years time.


"It is very important that we actually make decisions now so we can start to implement them and ensure that the financial sustainability of the city continues into the future," he said.


"And I think it's very mature and progressive of the council to be taking that on.


"I'm actually quite comfortable coming into this organisation at the stage we're at and that is because the situation has been recognised."


Topics: local-government, newcastle-2300



No comments:

Post a Comment