Saturday, August 10, 2013

Stewart Dorman, Toowoomba, Queensland - ABC Local


I'd love to see a way safe seats could be made a little unsafe. As far as I'm concerned, you could put a donkey up for a candidate here, and they'd still vote for it!


As a taxi driver, you hear a lot of the same thing. People seem to vote the way they do because "that's the way it's always been done". It's "the LNP is right, and that's all there is to it!" It can be frustrating. I did find when Julia Gillard was Prime Minister there was hate, even bile-type guttural hate, towards her. Because she was a woman. That really did annoy me. She made mistakes, obviously, but she was always rowing uphill in that job.


I don't rate either leader of the major parties. It's a 'lesser of two evils' situation for me. If I make the decision to vote Labor, it doesn't matter because I'm in a safe LNP seat. I'm too hard a nut for Tony Abbott to crack. He doesn't talk to me. I know being in opposition isn't easy, but I could do his job. Whatever the Labor party does, I could say "oh, that's dumb and stupid". That's simple, but it doesn't prove anything to me that Abbott's a capable alternate Prime Minister.


I really like what the Greens have to say, but their chances of getting votes and having any position of power is next to none. But they certainly talk what I like to hear.


I'm a big fan of the carbon and mining taxes. If gas and coal is making a good profit, take more off them. They're just digging it up from the ground. It's not like they're manufacturing something, or using their brains. So I've got no qualms of taking more money off them to increase the clean, green, aspects of the future.


They talk about the prosperity of the resource boom. But it doesn't seem to hit the ground in the area does it? The road from here to Dalby is a mess. If we need this gas and coal so much, and we're making so much money from it, the roads should be paved with gold! It's a necessary evil for now, but I'd like to see more of a push from clean, green energies.


I play the ukulele. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but the song I am thinking of during this election campaign is 'Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone'. As a Julia fan, there was an honesty she had the others haven't got, and I miss that.



No comments:

Post a Comment