Saturday, September 7, 2013

Toowoomba mum onto a winner - Queensland Country Life

YOU know you’re onto a winner when on any given day, on any given Australian beach, numerous little ones frolicking in the sun are all sporting the same swimwear.

But for the founder of popular children’s swimwear brand ‘Babes in the Shade’, Toowoomba’s Ali Mowbray, entrepreneurial success was quite by chance, prompted initially by the diagnosis of an autoimmune disorder in 2007.


“My condition, Discoid Lupus Erythematosus, is aggravated by UV light, too much sun and I get a terrible red rash and my hair starts to fall out so it was imperative that I cover up,” Ali explained.


“It also means I must be extra vigilant with my children’s sun safety, so for Christmas that year, I decided to get the whole family long sleeved swim shirts as presents, but I was left extremely disappointed.”


“The ‘rashies’ I ended up buying were too ugly to even wear - my daughter hit the beach that summer with her pretty swimmers worn over the top!”


Even enlisting the help of some of her more ‘fashion savvy’ friends drew blanks.


“All they could say was, ‘If you can find some stylish children’s rashies, let me know.”


“I was actually pretty gobsmacked that here in Queensland, Australia, one of the world’s most beach-orientated communities, there was a huge gap in the market for good quality, affordable and attractive children’s swim suits.”


So this former school teacher took matters into her own hands, immediately designing a range of affordable, age appropriate, quality children’s sun-smart swimwear.


The range included classic, clean styles mixing fun colours and prints with zips included for easy dressing.


Her stock landed the following October, and within three weeks, with her website live and a score of stockists, she had sold 3,500 swim shirts, purely through word of mouth.


“Things kind of went nuts! I couldn’t believe it, but it certainly justified that people wanted gorgeous UV swimwear that was affordable.”


“There were quality and pretty suits available, but priced upwards of $70 they were just not justifiable for many families.”




“I’m really proud to be able to offer a UPF 50+ chlorine resistant and smart looking children’s range for under $50.”


And it seems Ali is onto a winning formula.


Since 2008 her home based business, consisting of herself and one staff member during summer, has consistently enjoyed annual sales growth of 50 to 100 per cent.


Figures are not slowing down, with sales for this year already reflecting a whopping 250 per cent increase, and a new demand from overseas stockists.


An ever-increasing emphasis on sun consciousness is also driving figures, with Ali conceding it is far easier to put children in a rashie than continuously re-apply sunscreen.


Babes in the Shade now offers stylish adult swim shirts as the business continues to grow and evolve.


Today 80 per cent of sales are through the website, reflecting the rise in popularity of online shopping.


“Luckily I have a great IT man,” she laughs.


The man in question is her airline pilot husband Adam, seconded as IT guy when not in the air with his ‘other’ job.


However Ali concedes that juggling a small business and their three young children Lucy, 11, Hugh, 9 and Ben, 5 was a lot harder than she anticipated.


“Coming from a teaching background, the logistics of business were all new to me – stock orders, BAS statements, staffing – it’s really made me appreciate how hard small business is. Those first few years were particularly demanding.


Five years on and Babes in the Shade’s popularity speaks for itself, yet Ali is modest about the phenomenon she has created.


“I often have people on the beach and at swim lessons approaching me with positive feedback about my children's swim shirts and where they came from, and that's the most rewarding and humbling part for me.


“I feel proud knowing Babes in the Shade products are making a small but positive contribution to sun safety - as well as being gorgeous enough for the little people in them!.”


Ali has recently launched her sixth range of Babes in the Shade this summer, featuring 7 new designs as well as all time favourites Spotti Dotti and Rugger.


*The range is available online, at www.babesintheshade.com.au



No comments:

Post a Comment