Saturday, October 5, 2013

It's always beer o'clock in Toowoomba - ABC Local


Out of whack

Not only does the clock tower above the old Commonwealth Bank in Toowoomba's main street tell the wrong time, it tells it twice! The clock face on the northern side of the tower is stuck at 9:36, while the western and southern clock faces both say 5 o'clock. (ABC southern Qld: Peter Gunders)



What is the time?

"I guess that means it's correct four times a day!" says Brian Gill, who works at the rubber stamp shop, across the road from the old bank. "I prefer to look at the face on my right hand side. It's beer o'clock. All the time!" (: Peter Gunders)



Two out of three is a little bad

Two out of three aint bad? "I've been here for nine years, and I've never really taken any notice of the clock," Brian Gill admits. "All I know is that it has been stopped for a long time." The building has been vacant for several years, and is soon to be remodelled into a controversial strip club. (ABC Southern Qld: Peter Gunders)





Brian Gill says it's better to think of the tower, not as clock that tells the wrong time, but as a work of art. Otherwise it would be "always time to go home", he laughs.


"I've been here for nine years, and I've never really taken any notice of the clock. All I know is that it has been stopped for a long time," he says.


The building has been vacant for several years, and is soon to be remodelled into a controversial strip club.


"It's quite possible the clock will go in the remodelling," Gill says, "but it's a bit unique, they could leave it the way it is."



No comments:

Post a Comment