Sunday, February 17, 2013

Brad Kennedy wins Qld PGA by two shots - Ninemsn


Brad Kennedy won the Queensland PGA Championship by two strokes after a final round of five-under-par 63 at the City Golf Club in Toowoomba on Sunday.


The highest ranked player in the field, Kennedy birdied the final hole and finished with a four-round total of 18-under 254, two clear of Kiwi Michael Hendry (66)


It was the first time Kennedy had won his home state title and his third victory on the PGA Tour of Australasia.


"It's been great, I came up here with not much expectation but the things I have been doing mentally and physically have got me through," said Kennedy, who started the final day a shot behind Hendry and spent the round going head-to-head with the Kiwi.


"I got off to a bad start, I was three back after six holes but I just kept hanging in there making a few birdies," added Kennedy, who headed to the 18th tied with Hendry.


The New Zealander had a bogey while the Queenslander birdied.


"It went a lot further than my normal distance (off the tee) but to stand up there, hit a good six iron and then hole the putt is something that will stay in the memory bank for a while."


Launching his 2013 season in winning form Kennedy is now full of confidence as he heads to the Japan Golf Tour.


"Japan is going to be a long season, I will need to be physically and mentally ready," he said.


"I guess my coach is going to make me train harder now to not let me rest up on a win."


Hendry will now focus on defending his NZ PGA Championship title in two weeks.


Finishing in outright third on 14-under the card was New South Welshman Anthony Summers while the leading amateur Cameron Smith finished a shot further behind.



No comments:

Post a Comment