Saturday, February 16, 2013

New Zealander Hendry leads Qld PGA - Ninemsn


New Zealander Michael Hendry will take a one shot lead into the final round of the Queensland PGA Championship at the City Golf Club in Toowoomba.


Starting the day just two shots off the lead, Hendry fired a 6-under 62 on Saturday to be 14-under the card after three rounds.


He leads by one shot from Victorian David McKendrick and the highest ranked player in the field, Brad Kennedy, who was one of four overnight leaders.


Getting off to a slow start, Hendry finished with a five-birdie streak.


"I started really poorly, terrible on the front nine to be honest, but then I gave myself a little talking to walking to the 10th tee," said Hendry.


"I said if I could play a good back nine and put myself back in contention that would be great.


"I suppose I listened and holed a few putts coming in - I think I had 10 putts on the back nine."


Hendry has become one of the most consistent performers on the PGA Tour of Australasia, recording seven top-10 finishes from his past 10 starts.


"I am just trying really hard, just trying to be consistent every day in my routines, what I do prior to getting to the golf course and then just trying to be really focused in my pre-shot routine.


"I am putting 100 per cent effort into every shot regardless of whether I am 5-over or 5-under."


Brad Kennedy didn't have the same joy from his finish, bogeying the last to fall a shot off the pace.


"I was a little disappointed with how I played today, I didn't make much headway with the wedges on a few shots early but I came through and putted great on the back nine which put me back in the tournament," said Kennedy who is playing his first event of the season.


"I am going to be very attacking tomorrow, I have nothing to lose."


A further shot behind Kennedy and McKendrick is Rohan Blizard in outright fourth on 12-under the card.


At 11-under is New South Welshman Matthew Giles who is joined by Anthony Summers who shot 6-under on Saturday to round out the top-5.


The third round was highlighted by a hole-in-one on the par 3 130 metre 17th from South Australian Adam Bland.



No comments:

Post a Comment