Saturday, November 15, 2014

Welcome to G20, Toowoomba style - ABC Local


g20 toowoomba

In the Toowoomba phone book the coordinates G-20 land you in Harlaxton, a suburb in north Toowoomba. (ABC Southern Qld: Peter Gunders)



Kate

"At this time of year it's an absolute thrill to live in G-20," Kate Chambers (pictured with her dog Beau) laughed. "Besides being on a main road it's a quiet spot. I think Harlaxton is classed as a pretty cruddy suburb, but I've been here for four years and never had a problem." (ABC Southern Qld: Peter Gunders)



park

North Ruthven Reserve takes up a good part of G-20. "It is a nice park," Ms Chambers said. "But you don't want to go there in magpie season. (ABC Southern Qld: Peter Gunders)



train

Harlaxton's G-20 has a railway line running through it. "The trains rumble in the night time, but they aren't too loud," Ms Chambers said. "I find them quite comforting. It's a rumble that makes you think of jumping on and going somewhere." (ABC Southern Qld: Peter Gunders)



factory

"I would say G-20 may be the 'coolest' part of town, because there is an ice cream factory next to the park," Ms Chambers said. "I thank God it isn't a chicken factory, where you can smell it, or I'd be eating ice cream all day!" (ABC Southern Qld: Peter Gunders)





"I don't follow politics," Ms Chambers said emphatically.


But politics is hard to escape this weekend as the G20 Leaders' Summit is held in the Queensland capital.


And it is not too long before Ms Chambers starts to let it inspire her conversation.


"Close the borders," she said.


"And I'm not talking about immigrants. I'm talking about imports.


"Let's grow our own food here and sell it here, not importing cheap shit from overseas.


"I think of our poor bloody farmers.


"They're building mines everywhere but what's going to happen when we've got no food left?"


It's not only agri-politics Ms Chambers weighs in on.


"I don't see why the government doesn't legalise marijuana," she said.


"You're not going to stop it, so legalise it.


"And I think aged care is a big issue. I used to work in a kitchen in aged care where I got paid more than the carers. That's not right."


Ms Chambers says she will be content to stay in her own G-20 while world leaders visit Brisbane.


"It's a good spot here," she said.


"While they are all talking I'll be reading a book or having a good meditation."



No comments:

Post a Comment